The Flute Center stands in solidarity with our community in NYC and with those around the world protesting violence and inequities against Black Americans.
Black Lives Matter. Black Voices Matter. We are here in support, and we are listening.
Our Company Commitments:
- To make sure that job openings are shared widely across the community, and not just within our own social spheres
- To actively seek out Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) owned suppliers in our stocking process
- To increase our offerings of sheet music composed by BIPOC.
- To intentionally increase the representation of BIPOC in all of our live events and content creation, including (but not limited to) Salon Series recital and masterclass programming, Flute Unscripted Podcast booking, and influencer partnerships
- To use our social media platforms to promote and uplift BIPOC flutists
- To financially support flute festivals and events that feature and actively include a racially diverse community of flutists.
- To financially support organizations who uplift BIPOC musicians through direct donation and matching donation campaigns
- To directly support BIPOC musicians through internship and scholarship opportunities
- To continue to educate ourselves on how we can be more intentional in our fight against racism and discrimination in all forms, to learn from our mistakes, and to keep asking ourselves how we can be better.
This is only the beginning of what is sure to be an ongoing conversation, and we extend a heartfelt invitation to anyone who wishes to join. Please feel free to contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone (212) 307-9737.